Euroconsumers announces nominees and agenda for the fourth annual BeXt awards
As prices rise, Euroconsumers fourth annual BeXt awards hosted by Test-Achats announces full agenda and shortlist of consumer brands excelling in value for money, reliable and eco-friendly products.
The nominees for Euroconsumers fourth annual BeXt awards on 29th September 2022 hosted by our Belgian member Test-Achats have been announced. The 20 nominees have all shown how to create good value, reliable goods that can help people save money, energy and time as prices rise and household budgets tighten.
The nominees in eight award categories are listed below. Awards will be given across three categories: Value for money, most Eco-friendly product and best product for Reliability.
The BeXt awards take place on Thursday September 29th 2022 at 14.30 CET, you can register to attend here.
BeXt Awards 2022 Agenda
As well as announcing the winners, the 2022 BeXt awards will explore some of the most pressing consumer issues of the day with experts from industry, the European Commission and consumer organizations. Three panels will take an indepth look into the critical topics on everyone’s mind: inflation, energy and consumer power.
The panel sessions will explore what consumers can do in these uncertain times, and how we as a consumer organisation can step up to support them. The Stronger Together session looks at collective purchase schemes that could push prices down for people, and in the Looking for best deals panel, we look at how we can help consumers navigate supermarket prices and what to expect from retailers. Finally, in the Ready for winter? panel we have an exclusive one-on-one session on what Europe has done so far to mitigate energy prices and its plans for the future.
14.30 Welcome to BeXt Awards 2022
- Katrina Sichel – Moderator
- Michele Cavuoti – Group Product Manager, Euroconsumers
- Rachele Colombo – Supervising Market Analyst, Altroconsumo (Italy)
14:35 Collective purchases | Stronger together
- Carina Osório – Group Service Coordinator, Hintdeal CRM Strategy & Relationship, Deco Proteste (Portugal)
- Sara Elisa Contini – Business Developer, Altroconsumo (Italy)
- Piergiacomo Sibiano – Regulatory & Public Affairs Manager, Tremagi-Wekiwi Group
15:10 Energy | Get ready for the winter
An exclusive one to one conversation with Adela Tesarova – European Commission, DG ENER Head of Unit Consumers, Local Initiatives, Just Transition
15:40 Inflation and supermarket prices | Looking for best deals
- Julie Frère – Domain Head Communication & Public Affairs, Test Achats/Test Aankoop
- Pierre-Alexandre Billiet – CEO, Gondola (Food Retailer Magazine)
16:20 Presentation of the Winners of the 2022 BeXt Awards
Hosted by: Katrina Sichel, Michele Cavuoti, Rachele Colombo
Inflation means tough times for consumers
2022 has been another tough year for consumers. Inflation has steadily risen and the record breaking 5% inflation rate in January has been regularly surpassed, leaving the Eurozone with a predicted average rate of 9.1% for August 2022.
The average rate masks some significant national differences. Inflation in Spain is 10.3% and in the Baltic states Estonia’s inflation rate is over 25%. Products and services are subject to different rates too and it has been well documented that energy price inflation in the Eurozone has reached a staggering 38.3% due to the supply crunch caused by the war in Ukraine and ongoing shockwaves from the Covid-19 crisis.
It is not surprising then that Euroconsumers’ yearly affordability barometer survey found that many consumers are struggling to pay for essential items and are changing their shopping habits and behaviour to cope with these price shocks.
Euroconsumers helps people make the best decisions
However not all consumer purchases can be delayed and so consumers will be looking out for those that really deliver value for money. Buying the longest lasting and most energy efficient product is also a high priority for consumers so they can reduce their energy spending, be sure they are investing for the long term and know they are reducing their environmental impact.
The award categories for 2022 recognise all of these elements and have added three new categories to celebrate innovation and success in collective purchases and home energy and for the supermarkets doing the most to keep consumer prices down.
2022 BeXt Award nominees
The nominees and final awardees are based on extensive data from Euroconsumers test labs from the last two years. The shortlisted brands across the three 2022 BeXt Award categories are:
BeXt Award for Value for money: celebrating products with the best quality for their price based on Euroconsumers comparative tests and market price analysis:
- Mobile hi tech: Smartphones and Wearables
- Shortlist: Xiaomi, Samsung, Oneplus
- Large household appliances: Washing machines, Tumble dryers and Dishwashers
- Shortlist: Beko, Bosch, Electrolux
BeXt Award for Eco-friendly products: rewarding products that are high quality and have a low environmental impact, based on Euroconsumers comparative tests:
- Large household appliances: Washing machines, Tumble dryers, Dishwashers and Fridges/Freezers – this category is based on Euroconsumers’ Eco-score test which evaluates energy and water consumption if applicable.
- Shortlist: Samsung, Miele, Siemens
- Automotive tyres: Summer tyres and Winter tyres – this category is based on Euroconsumers’ Eco-score test which evaluates fuel consumption and tyre wear.
- Shortlist: Goodyear, Michelin, Continental
- Home detergents: Laundry, Dishwasher and Bathroom cleaning detergents – this category is based on Euroconsumers’ Eco-score test which is used to attribute Green labels to product models.
- Shortlist: Sodalis, Reckitt Benckiser, Ecover
BeXt Award for Reliability: marking out brand leaders who deliver the most reliable products based on Euroconsumers’ consumer surveys.
- Mobile devices: Smartphones and Tablets
- Shortlist: Xiaomi, Apple, Asus, Sony, Samsung
- Large household appliances: Washing machines, Tumble dryers, Dishwashers and Fridges/Freezers
- Shortlist: Siemens, Miele, Zanussi
- Small household appliances: Canister, Uprights and Cordless vacuum cleaners
- Shortlist: Dyson, AEG, Samsung
Euroconsumers BeXt Awards will be held on Thursday September 29th 2022 at 14.30 CET. Register to attend here.